Through interaction with the natural world, the Outdoor Education course aims to develop an understanding of our relationships with the environment, others and ourselves, and ultimately contribute towards a sustainable world.
The integrated approach within this course allows for practical activities, theoretical concepts, and relationship with the environment to be incorporated into a meaningful program of learning. It provides students with an opportunity to develop essential life skills and physical activity skills, an opportunity to develop a comprehensive understanding of the environment and develop a positive relationship with nature. The course aims to develop self-awareness and leadership through opportunities to plan for, and facilitate, outdoor experiences.
The course will prepare students who are thinking of a career and employment pathways in areas such as outdoor leadership, environmental interpretation, environmental planning, facilities management, eco-tourism, military service, outdoor education, and the many unforeseen areas evolving in the outdoors industry. It will also offer a great foundation for both the Sport & Recreation and VET Courses offered in Years 11 and 12.
Below is taste of the many experiences the course offers:
- The thrill of hitting a perfect line as you go downhill on a mountain bike in Kalamunda.
- The sweet joy of a toasted marshmallow on a camp fire.
- Snorkelling the beautiful waters of Rottnest Island.
- The feeling of absolute accomplishment when you complete your Final Expedition.
– 5 Days
– Fully self -sufficient
– 100km – 50kms Mountain Biking the Munda Biddi & 50km bushwalking the Bibbulmun track.
- The friendships and stories you make that will last a life time.
Outdoor Education is open for everyone!
There is no prerequisite to have previously done it in either Year 8 or Year 9. However, there is a strong transition from Year 9 to the Year 10 Program.
Students will need to complete a swim competency test in class. This will consist of the following:
- 200m Continuous Swim with NO assistance. (No floatation aids, kickboards, fins/flippers or wetsuits etc)
- 5min Tread Water
- 10m Under Water Swim
- Ability to ride a bike with confidence.
Students that have not participated in ODE before need to have a willingness to work hard on skills that have been taught in previous years, such as navigation skills.
Those that are interested must be aware that the course can be physically demanding at times. So being true to themselves and committing to physical activity throughout the year will largely help them, come the time to plan and prepare for their final expedition.
A genuine interest in outdoor activities and a welfare for the environment.
Approximately $450 payable in full by the 1st of March 2022. Please note the cost is subject to change and includes all excursions as well as the end of year Expedition.