At Prendiville Catholic College the hours of service, referred to as the Christian Service Learning Programme, are to be completed over Years 10 and 11. When completing the Christian Service Learning Programme the following conditions must be satisfied.
- The 20 hours must be completed out of classroom time.
- A minimum of 10 hours must be completed in Year 10 with the remaining requirement to be done in Year 11.
- All hours must be signed by an authorised supervisor who can also make a comment on the student’s commitment, participation etc.
- Students are required to complete a reflective journal and a final reflective essay.
- Students will be able to access the Give 20 website at give20.org.au or access it through My Classes on the school intranet. The school will also offer opportunities that will count as part of Service Learning which will be announced through the newsletter and daily bulletin.
- There are 4 areas in which Service can be completed at Prendiville:
– Social Justice
– Community Outreach
- Students can choose to do hours in any combination across any of these four areas, however not more than 12 hours will be recorded in any one area. (If students are committed to a particular programme they are welcome to do more than the 12 hours.)
- During these two years student progress will be recorded on school reports.
- If students are unsure if certain activities will meet their Service Learning requirements they need to gain approval from Mr Devlin before continuing.
- Sanctions will be applied to students who do not meet their Christian Learning Service requirements. These may include; school community service and being ineligible to attend social events such as the Year 11 River Cruise and Year 12 Dinner Dance (College Ball). Successful completion of the Christian Service Learning requirements is required for Graduation from Prendiville Catholic College.
- More details are available in each student’s service learning journal.